Russian Borscht Soup (Hk Style)
This is a great soup, hearty, lots of veggies and pretty easy to do. This is my mom's recipe, here's what you do:
- Ox-Tail (or Ox-tongue)
- Onion (red or normal depends on your preference)
- Bay Leaves
- 1 Can of Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper
- Boil some water in a large stock pot, wait til it is ready and then throw in your ox-tail to let the blood come out. After about 5-10minutes when the blood has exited the meat/bones, drain the ox-tail and dump the dirty water.
- Leave the ox-tail on the side while you reboil some new water (probably about half the pot)
- As you are doing this, cut up all the veggies into 'soup size' cuttings.
- As the water boils, put your ox-tail back in and then continue to load the rest of the veggies into the pot.
- Open the can of tomato paste and mix that into the pot.
- Put your bay leaves into the pot as well as it starts to boil and mix.
- At this point the pot will be boiling soon enough, when it does turn the heat down to low/med and let it simmer for 5 hours or so stirring it occassionaly every once in awhile to mix the ingredients and bring it to a nice full flavour.
- Add in some ketchup/salt/pepper at the 4hr mark or so to give it some more taste.
- You can always boil it for longer (this will keep giving it more flavour). As you boil away, you may notice the water level going down (or purely just because your veggies are shrinking), you could throw some more water in there to dilute it a bit more, or leave it depending on your preference.
Thats it! Let it cool a bit and then serve in big hearty bowls. The individual eater can put some tobasco sauce on it too if they are feeling adventurous :).
HK Style Russian Borscht soup is awesome, its one of those homey things that make me feel good inside. Served in a lot of HK cafes, this one is a classic. Best with ox-tail or ox-tongue. Try it sometime!
Please sign in to comment.